Project Number: EE-WZM-1B96
DACS: The Distributed Audio Control System
A Major Qualifying Report
submitted to the Faculty
WORCESTER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE
in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the
Degree of Bachelor of Science
by Stephen Scott Richardson
Date: 25 July 1997
Professor William R. Michalson, Advisor
The Distributed Audio Control System (DACS) is a hybrid digital and analog
system designed to automate common audio tasks such as audio mixing, digital
audio cueing, and MIDI device control. The MQP explores the development of
a powerful, expandible, and inexpensive system to perform these tasks.
The implementation of two custom hardware components, firmware, and
software bring the design to fruition, with near production quality.
- Michael Andrews, for PCB proofing, ideas, and assistance with
- J. Nelson Chadderdon, for LCD backlight inverters and rail of
- Seann Ives, for selling me the HP logic analyzer.
- Professor William Michalson, for advising the project.
- Yeasah Pell, for loan of oscilloscope, laser printer use,
random parts, loan of speakers for presentation.
- Mark and Paula Richardson, for funding the project.
- My suitemates, Yeasah and Dave, for putting up with the hardware lab
in the living room and the testing/software lab in the bedroom.
- All of my friends (Kim, Sarah, Steph, Mike, Yeasah, Todd, and everyone
else that I forgot) for their support throughout this project.
- WPI Lens and Lights, for the loan of a pair of EAW JF-60 speakers
and tripods for the presentation.
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- Executive Summary
- High-Level Hardware Specifications
- Module-Level Hardware Specifications
- Inter-Module Specifications
- Hardware Schematics
- Hardware Verification
- Hardware PC Board Designs
- Hardware Chassis
- High-Level Firmware Design
- Firmware Protocols
- Firmware Modules
- Firmware Code
- High-Level Software Design
- Software Graphical User Interface
- Software Code
- MIDI Controller
- Main Program Code, midictrl.c
- MIDI Handler Header, midi.h
- MIDI Handler Code, midi.c
- Mixer Mid-Level Driver Header, mixer.h
- Mixer Mid-Level Driver Code, mixer.c
- CDROM Service Provider Communications Header, cdaudio_comm.h
- CDROM Service Provider CD Function Header, cdaudio_func.h
- CDROM Service Provider Main Code, cdaudio_daemon.c
- CDROM Service Provider CD Function Code, cdaudio_func.c
- Serial Communications Header, serial.h
- Serial Communications Code, serial.c
- TCP/IP Client Library Header, client.h
- TCP/IP Client Library Code, client.c
- TCP/IP Server Library Header, server.h
- TCP/IP Server Library Code, server.c
- VHDL Code
- Axiom MC68HC11 Single Board Computer References
- About this document ...
Table of Contents
[Whole document in PDF 1.9MB]
[more photos and information]