CAVE MkII MP3 Player Features (in development)
- Music is stored on up to two 2.5" IDE notebook hard disks. Currently
30GB notebook drives are very affordable, allowing up to 40GB of storage
with very low cost. Drives use industry-standard FAT32 filesystem.
- Robust, shock-mounted, industrial design ensures that the player will
hold up in the harsh automotive environment.
- The entire player is much smaller than the MkI player because of the use
of smaller hard disks. This allows the entire player to be removable, which
means you can take it with you for listening in your home, office, etc.
With a special docking bracket, you can connect your head unit and have a
fully standalone player!
- The player supports direct connection to USB2.0 to transfer music to the
player. USB 2.0 means you can move data at speeds of 10MBytes/second or more!
- 802.11b WiFi Wireless connection means you can load music to the player
while it is still in your car. You can also use the CAVE player in your
house as a wireless audio spigot to play music from your home network!
- CompactFlash support allows 802.11b to function when it is too cold to
spin up hard drives.
- Intelligent environmental monitoring ensures that the unit will not
spin up the hard disks in dangerous conditions (e.g. too cold).
- Audio may be adjusted with volume and parametric equalization controls.
- Two stereo line inputs are provided for FM tuner, CD changer, or other
- Extensive search capabilities allow easy management of your vast music
collection. Search for music based on genre, year, artist, album, etc.
Most searches operate very quickly, meaning less time wasted.
- Search for music and queue it while MP3s are playing!
- A variety of random-play modes (e.g. within artist, within genre, within
year, etc.). Random play options include an adjustable no-repeat feature
which allows the user to set a window of 2 to 50 songs during which no repeats
of songs are allowed.
CAVE MkI MP3 Player Features (current demonstration prototype)
- Music is stored on a removable 3.5" hard disk (up to 80GB with
current storage technology). Drive is formatted using industry-standard
- Hard disk caddy can be removed from car and placed into a USB docking
bay connected to a PC to load music onto the drive. Users may also connect
a docking bay directly to a PC's IDE bus for super-fast data transfer.
- Plays up to 320kbit/sec MP3 files, at any bit-rate including VBR.
- Adjustble volume as well as bass and treble equalizer controls.
- Auxiliary line input for FM tuner, CD changer pass-through, or
portable devices. Line output is configurable for 1V or 4V.
- Custom switch mode power supply allows operation from 8-16VDC. Protection
is included for automotive power (protects against double battery, reverse
polarity and load dump). This is in stark contrast to some commercially
available players which actually supply the hard disk with the unregulated
12-14.5V voltage from the vehicle!
- Individual MP3 songs or Winamp/Sonique format playlists may be played.