Download Kim's resume:
K I M B E R L Y B E L L I
326 Taylor Road|
Stow, MA 01775
E D U C A T I O N A L E X P E R I E N C E
Northeastern University||Boston, MA|
Doctor of Philosophy, interdisciplinary engineering program: civil engineering, computational electromagnetics and computer aided engineering. Dissertation: "Integrated Sensor and Media Modeling Environment for Civil Infrastructure." (tentative title) Graduation Date: May 2008.
Master of Science in Civil Engineering (emphasis in Structural Engineering). Thesis: "Improving the Investigation of Bridge Deck Condition: From Ground Penetrating Radar to a Proposed Defect Assessment Tool." Graduation Date: August 2002.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. Graduation Date: May 1997.|
P R O F E S S I O N A L E X P E R I E N C E
|Northeastern University||Boston, MA|
Graduate Research Assistant, GAANN Fellow||2000-present|
Intelligent diagnostics of structural systems: using Ground Penetrating
Radar (GPR) to assess the subsurface condition of reinforced concrete
- developed a model based assessment technique to determine layer thicknesses and electromagnetic properties of bridge decks.
- designed an approach to remove strong scattering from
reinforcing bars (rebar) in bridge deck GPR data, including
compensation for the rebar scattered field incident on an anomaly,
which can introduce complications in conventional inversion methods.
- devised a method to improve condition assessment in the top few inches of a bridge deck using accepted, existing software.
- developed of a flexible, object-oriented 2D Finite Difference
Time Domain (FDTD) algorithm for simulation of GPR on bridge decks.
|Infrasense, Inc.||Arlington, MA|
Staff Engineer||Summer 2004|
Analyzed GPR data for statewide highway condition survey of 3500 lane miles in Oklahoma.
Raytheon Systems Company
DASR Project Engineer, Team Lead||1998-2000|
Assessed locations for placement of Digital Airport Surveillance Radars
on various airport and military sites. Surveyed sites, analyzed radar
coverage of candidate sites and prepared reports for site selection. |
CASE/LEA Engineers, Boston, MA - Staff Engineer
|New England Design Associates, Worcester, MA - Summer Intern
|Bechtel Corporation, Boston, MA - Intern
P U B L I C A T I O N S
Belli, K., Zhan, H., Wadia-Fascetti, S. and Rappaport, C., (TO
BE SUBMITTED AUGUST 2007). "Comparison of the Accuracy of 2D versus 3D
FDTD Air-Coupled GPR Modeling of Bridge Deck Deterioration."
Belli, K., Rappaport, C., and Wadia-Fascetti, S. (TENTATIVELY
ACCEPTED JULY 2007). "Forward Time Domain Ground Penetrating Radar
Modeling of Scattering from Anomalies in the Presence of Steel
Reinforcements". Submitted to Research in Nondestructive Evaluation. Submitted April 2007.
Belli, K., Wadia-Fascetti, S., and Rappaport, C. (TENTATIVELY ACCEPTED JUNE 2006). "Bridge Deck Condition Assessment Using GPR: a
model based approach". Submitted for review to Journal of
Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering. Blackwell
Publishers. Submitted December 2005.
Belli, K., Wadia-Fascetti, S., and Rappaport, C. (2006).
"Analysis of Simulated Variation in Dielectric Properties of Reinforced
Concrete Systems". Applications of Advanced Technology in Transportation (AATT) 2006. Chicago, Illinois, August 13-16, 2006. In proceedings.
Belli, K., Wadia-Fascetti, S., and Rappaport, C. (2004). "Defect
Diagnosis and Impact on Bridge Performance". Smart Structures. Seoul,
Wadia-Fascetti, S., Grivas, D., Belli, K., and Lebeau, K. (2002). "Defect Diagnosis and Impact on Bridge Performance". First International Conference on Bridge Maintenance, Safety and Management (IABMAS) 2002. Barcelona, Spain, July 14-17, 2002. In proceedings.
L E A D E R S H I P E X P E R I E N C E
- Advisor. Supervised undergraduate independent study in GPR simulation (Fall, Winter 2006)
- Mentor. Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program (Summer 2006)
- Webmaster & Content Developer. Connections E-Mentoring Program (2000-2005)
- Student Leadership Council. Center for Subsurface Sensing & Imaging Systems (2001)
- Leader & Curriculum Developer. Connections Take-Apart Computers Seminar (2001)
- President. WPI Social Committee (1996-1997)
- Committee Member. WPI Student Activities Executive Council (1996-1997)
- Treasurer. WPI Social Committee (1994-1996)
H O N O R S & A W A R D S
- Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) Fellowship
in Sensing, Identification, Diagnostics & Rehabilitation of
Structural Systems - includes full tuition and stipend (2004-2006)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Research Award at the Northeastern Research & Scholarship Exposition (March 2006)
- National Science Foundation Travel Grant to NATO Advance Study Institute in Albena, Bulgaria (May 2005)
- Alpha Psi Omega Membership awarded into the national dramatic honor fraternity (Fall 1999)
- Crimson & Grey Recognition Award for contribution & dedication to WPI and the enrichment of student life (April 1997)
S O C I E T Y M E M B E R S H I P S
|American Concrete Institute (ACI),
American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), American Society of
Civil Engineers (ASCE), Institute of Electrical and Electronics
Engineers (IEEE), Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
(SIAM), and Society of Women Engineers (SWE).|