Homemade bitters notes
1/2 batch of apple bitters and 1/2 batch of BTP house bitters
constructed via the methods described in Brad Parsons' "Bitters"
book. First attempt at bitters creation.
Notes: This ended up in a 1 quart ball jar because the skins take up a
lot of room and I didn't think it would fit in a 2 cup ball jar.
However, with the larger quart jar I had to put in the extra 1/4 cup
bourbon to cover the other stuff. As a result, I've got nearly 2 cups
of end product, 3/4 more than the House Bitters.
- skins of 2 jazz and 1 organic pinata
- 4 big allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick, Penzeys 3" indonesian
- 1/4 lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp Polcari's coriander seed
- 1/4 tsp cassia chips (Dandelion cinnamon bark)
- 1/4 tsp Dandelion cinchona bark
- 2 cloves
- 1 1/4 cup Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon
BTP House Bitters
Notes: I didn't have a star anise so that's not in. This fit nicely
into a 2 cup widemouth ball jar. End product is about 1 1/4 cup.
- 1 Tbs chopped dried orange
- zest of a little less than 1/2 of an orange
- 2 Tbs dried tart cherries (Idylwilde)
- 3 cracked green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3" indonesian Penzeys
- 4 cloves
- 1/8 tsp quassia chips
- 1/8 tsp gentian root
- 1/4 tsp cassia chips
- pinch of black walnut leaf
- contents of 1 vanilla bean and half of its pod
- 1 cup of Redemption High-Rye (46%)